The Practical Approach to Couponing





When it comes to couponing and saving, I don't think going to the extremes is necessary. I love to save money - but who in the world needs over 200 boxes of pasta at one time? I'm 35 and I probably haven't eaten that much pasta in my entire life! And their "stockpile" has taken over the entire house or they use their two car garage for their stockpile? Gimme a break! Yes, there may be a coupon for it and yes, it may be a good deal - but when you buy too much and you can't live a normal life because the "stash" is taking over your life, it's time to put some brakes on that shopping cart. Buying 150 candy bars is just tad over the top. Okay - maybe that's what this person wanted. Or perhaps she's just a tad OCD and went totally overboard buying things just because she could get them at a good deal.

As I said before, I love to save money. It makes me feel good to know that I'm doing all I can to make the dollars stretch. And I freely admit that saving money is addictive. However, I also believe in using a bit of common sense when couponing. I guess you could call me the "practical coupon queen", LOL. Do I have a stash? Yes. Do I feel I need to build another house just to corral all my accumulated stuff I got for free or nearly free? Nope.

In my stash right now, I have 5 sticks of ladies deodorant, several bottles of shampoo and conditioner, about 6 bottles of body wash, 10 rolls of paper towels, two tubes of toothpaste, a couple extra tubes of lip balm, and 14 rolls of toilet paper. That's some of my stash. I also keep several cans/packages of food items we normally use on hand.

No matter how much I love to save - if I won't use it up within 3 - 6 months, I make myself behave and bypass the clearance racks and "stock up" sales. If my stash is getting low, I'll go ahead and replenish when I find a good sale and have some good coupons. Bottom line: if I don't need to replenish my stash or could use the item right away, I walk away. Why? Because running all over the place and just buying stuff because it's on sale and coupons for those items are readily available is not only a waste of time, but it's a waste of energy, money, and gas. All of which - for most of us - are in short supply.

No comments:

Post a Comment